At Central Virginia Health Services we are committed to and must uphold a high level of care, meeting administrative, clinical, and financial standards as part of responsibility as a FQHC. We offer comprehensive care: medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, and at some sites, x-ray services. The majority of our governing board is made up of our patients – at least 51% of board members must be representative of the patients we serve.
Our Values: Patient Centered, Integrity, Professionalism, Continuous Improvement, Compassion
Our Mission: We are committed to providing safe, accessible, affordable, comprehensive, high quality, and culturally sensitive care to the people we serve.
New Canton, VA
In November, 1793, the Virginia General Assembly decreed that a town to be named "New Canton" was to be established in Buckingham County on the James River, near the mouth of Bear Garden Creek. The twenty five acres of land were located on the bluff above Cannon's Ferry, which had been in operation for many years. This land was to be laid out into lots of one half acre each, with "convenient cross streets running throughout". The main street and one angled cross street were the existing roads that served the ferry. The land was part of an original colonial land grant made to William Cannon on March 1, 1743. The land for the town was donated by Cannon's grandson, also named William, who hoped that the town would grow and prosper, causing his surrounding property to increase in value.
New Canton never became a "boom town" but it did have considerable commerce and enterprise in the 19th and early 20th centuries. There was a tan yard, a grist mill, a tobacco warehouse, a saw mill, several bars, a hotel, several general stores and a post office. In the early 20th century, there were gas pumps, a Ford automobile dealership and an orchard as well.
As motorcars became popular early in the 20th century, they too began using the bridge and the road down to the river became a highway for the ever-increasing motor vehicle traffic. The main highway that was to become U.S. Route 15 actually ran right through New Canton. This brought a boom in commerce to New Canton but it was to be short lived. In 1934, a new highway bridge opened a few hundred feet to the west of the town, effectively a bypass isolating New Canton from through traffic.