Nov 20, 2023
It’s been said that when you stop looking for love, that’s the moment when it finds you. When it comes to attracting top candidates to your healthcare facility, the relationship is a little more…complicated.
Here’s the thing, only 14% of providers are actively looking for a new position. Whether the other 86% are happily employed or just phoning it in, we’ll never know. However, we can try to attract them.
So, how do you attract a high-quality physician? Here’s how:
1. Show them what they’re missing.
While a physician may be happy in their current role, they also just might not know what they’re missing. To help woo a passive candidate, show them what they might be missing out on by showcasing the following:
- Company culture. Highlight what makes your facility special and let them know why people like being a part of it. Include social media pages, company videos, and employee testimonials.
- Community impact. People like to work in places that are making a difference. Showcase charitable company initiatives and sponsoring events that give back.
- Diversity and inclusion. Diversity and inclusion are important to employees. Spotlight your organization’s commitment to these values.
- Work/life balance. Highlight how your organization puts your employee’s well-being first.
2. Get to know them.
Nobody likes to be on the receiving end of a generic form letter. When engaging with passive candidates, show them that you’re interested in getting to know more about them.
Ask them questions about themselves. What are their professional interests? Any
particular passions or skills? Find out what makes them tick. Then, go further. Ask them about their current role: Are they happy? Do they feel valued? What are their goals? Building an authentic rapport with a candidate makes you memorable and leads to trust. When a candidate is ready to make a career move, they’ll know just who to call.
3. Ask for referrals.
Good people know other good people. Start an employee referral program and enjoy the fruits of your current employee’s networks.
4. Stay in the know.
Keep an eye on what is happening within the healthcare industry. This means following news about mergers and acquisitions, layoffs, new organizations, and businesses. A passive candidate could go from an active candidate due to any one of these reasons.